From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Servers running gentoo
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:36:25
1 Andy Dustman wrote:
2
3 > The steps to setting up a central package repository are:
4 >
5 > 1) On the build server, set FEATURES="buildpkg". Also set PKGDIR to
6 > move this to a different location if necesary for #2.
7 >
8 > 2) Make the packages/All directory accessible by http or ftp.
9 >
10 > 3) On the client, set PORTAGE_BINHOST to the URL of the above directory.
11 >
12 > 4) On the client, use -g or -G to use binary packages; -G forces the issue.
13 >
14 > See man emerge and man portage for more information.
15 >
16 > You will want your clients to be somewhat homogenous; they can have
17 > different world profiles, but should have the same USE, CFLAGS,
18 > CXXFLAGS, and so on.
19
20 I generally distribute an identical stock make.conf to the servers that
21 will make use of the PORTAGE_BINHOST setup on our network. This helps
22 keep it straight.
23
24 One other thing that helps is to keep all hosts on an identical Portage
25 revision. You can set up a local Portage mirror on the network and set
26 SYNC on all the servers to pull their Portage tree from the same source.
27 That way you never have surprises of a server trying to pull a different
28 package version than you're prepared for; no one can sync past a point
29 in time that you are ready for them to if they pull from your rsync mirror.
30
31 The build server itself would also pull from this mirror.
32
33 DS