From: Andy Dustman <farcepest@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Servers running gentoo
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:22:06
1 On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:45:19 -0500, Justin Lambert
2 <justin.lambert@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I envision having my own rsync server that I push packages I want from
5 > the master gentoo rsync servers so I can control what packages are
6 > passed to the production servers. I also will want to compile binaries
7 > for each class of server on some non-production boxes (identical to the
8 > production boxes in hardware, use flags, and packages installed) and
9 > install those since I don't want to use the cpu time on my production boxes.
10
11 Not sure if you are suggesting this, but you don't want (and can't
12 easily have) the binary packages being distributed by rsync.
13
14 The steps to setting up a central package repository are:
15
16 1) On the build server, set FEATURES="buildpkg". Also set PKGDIR to
17 move this to a different location if necesary for #2.
18
19 2) Make the packages/All directory accessible by http or ftp.
20
21 3) On the client, set PORTAGE_BINHOST to the URL of the above directory.
22
23 4) On the client, use -g or -G to use binary packages; -G forces the issue.
24
25 See man emerge and man portage for more information.
26
27 You will want your clients to be somewhat homogenous; they can have
28 different world profiles, but should have the same USE, CFLAGS,
29 CXXFLAGS, and so on.