From: Justin Lambert <justin.lambert@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Servers running gentoo
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:46:10
1 I have tried searching the forums and mailing list archives for an
2 answer to this question, but I obviously cannot word it correctly since
3 all I get are things about various service servers on gentoo boxes.
4
5 I currently have about 30 linux servers deployed around my location, all
6 running rh9. I am to the point that I need to update some major
7 components and am not looking forward to the rpmhell that comes with
8 this. I have been running gentoo on my workstations for a few years and
9 really like the upgradability that it provides with the least ammount
10 of work and was wanting to look at switching my server base to this.
11
12 I envision having my own rsync server that I push packages I want from
13 the master gentoo rsync servers so I can control what packages are
14 passed to the production servers. I also will want to compile binaries
15 for each class of server on some non-production boxes (identical to the
16 production boxes in hardware, use flags, and packages installed) and
17 install those since I don't want to use the cpu time on my production boxes.
18
19 I know I can run my own rsync server and have gentoo sync from that and
20 I remember seeing you can emerge binary packages made with the buildpkg
21 flag. Is there anything inherantly wrong with what I am doing or major
22 problems that will arise? Is there any documentation (or posts I
23 couldn't find) for this sort of thing that will help me out?
24 Tips/tricks/advice?
25
26 Thanks,
27 Justin