From: Sri Gupta <sri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Servers running gentoo
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:11:39
1 On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:45:19PM -0500, Justin Lambert wrote:
2 > I envision having my own rsync server that I push packages I want from
3 > the master gentoo rsync servers so I can control what packages are
4 > passed to the production servers. I also will want to compile binaries
5 > for each class of server on some non-production boxes (identical to the
6 > production boxes in hardware, use flags, and packages installed) and
7 > install those since I don't want to use the cpu time on my production boxes.
8
9 Does rsync support push updates? I'm sure you could cronjob it, but it might
10 just be easier to export /usr/portage over NFS. No need to worry about replication.
11
12 > I know I can run my own rsync server and have gentoo sync from that and
13 > I remember seeing you can emerge binary packages made with the buildpkg
14 > flag. Is there anything inherently wrong with what I am doing or major
15 > problems that will arise? Is there any documentation (or posts I
16 > couldn't find) for this sort of thing that will help me out?
17 > Tips/tricks/advice?
18
19 Looks good. Binary packages on identical hardware contain the same files as a
20 source compiled package (assuming the same flags). Set up a local mirror and
21 use PORTAGE_BINHOST in /etc/make.conf. The trick, imo, is automation.
22 if its a large farm, you don't want to have to shell into each box and
23 emerge -g package. DSH (http://dsh.sf.net/) is a simple solution.
24
25 -Sri