From: Andy Dustman <farcepest@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Servers running gentoo
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:33:31
1 On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:09:20 +0000, Sri Gupta <sri@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Does rsync support push updates? I'm sure you could cronjob it, but it might
4 > just be easier to export /usr/portage over NFS. No need to worry about replication.
5
6 I have done this, and still do it to an extent, and it does work, but
7 there are some caveats.
8
9 When you emerge sync, rsync has to crawl the entire local copy of the
10 tree. If this on an NFS-mounted filesystem, that means it has to stat
11 every single file, and there is latency involved with this. I have a
12 Portage tree that's on a NetApp Filer, and it is slow to update,
13 several times slower than local disk (in this case, two 320 MB/s SCSI
14 drives in RAID-1). However, if your rsync server is also your NFS
15 server, this isn't an issue. When my rsync server was serving the tree
16 off an NFS filesystem, it was really slow: Only a couple hundred files
17 per second on the file list. The machine above can push down the file
18 list (some 90K files) in about 4 seconds.
19
20 Another issue is that the first emerge after the NFS-mounted Portage
21 tree has been updated can be a bit slow, because it has to rebuild the
22 cache for any updated ebuilds. Normally emerge sync does this, but if
23 you have an NFS-mounted Portage tree, you never run emerge sync.
24
25 So yes, you can do it, and there are no real showstopper issues, but
26 you'll get better performance with a local disk Portage tree at the
27 cost of 100 MB or so. If disk space is a real issue and you aren't
28 picky about how long it takes, the NFS solution works well.