From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] GETTING CRAZY with init services (saslauthd/cyrus)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:43:37
1 ok, here is the scenario: I've got a server running saslauthd and
2 cyrus imap, and I have them started at the default runlevel, but after
3 booting up the machine saslauthd is not working. I started to make some
4 tests playing with dependencies and taking out some services, as I
5 suspected that some interaction among services could be causing
6 saslauthd to malfunction, and came up with the following (keep in mind
7 that cyrus has an after saslauthd dependency):
8
9 1. If I boot with no modification, saslauthd doesn't work. If I
10 restart saslauthd just after booting the service works.
11 2. If I put saslauthd - cyrus to start after everything else except
12 for local, saslauthd doesn't work
13 3. Then I deleted cyrus from the default runlevel. saslauthd works
14 4. Playing with dependencies I start saslauthd in exactly the same
15 place it was in point 1, but without cyrus. saslauthd works
16 5. At this point, if I add cyrus to the default runlevel, saslauthd
17 stops working
18 6. THE GREAT FINAL... I delete cyrus from the default runlevel, boot
19 up the machine, login as root, start cyrus and... *SASLAUTHD
20 WORKS*... wtf??????? By the way... I run NOTHING in local (?!?!?!??!)
21
22 I'm getting crazy with this, so any help/tip/idea is greatly
23 appreciated... I have looked at the logs with no success, and I don't
24 understand what's the difference between running cyrus in a runlevel and
25 starting it manually so it may affect saslauthd...
26
27 Best regards
28 Jose