From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] GETTING CRAZY with init services (saslauthd/cyrus)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:04:36
1 Another strange thing to add to the puzzle... I have deleted cyrus
2 from the default runlevel and then I have put /etc/init.d/cyrus start in
3 /etc/conf.d/local.start so local starts it... now saslauthd works after
4 boot up... what the hell is going on here? Anybody can shed some light
5 on this? Cause I think I'm becoming a lumberjack if computers keep
6 behaving like this...
7
8 Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
11 > ok, here is the scenario: I've got a server running saslauthd and
12 > cyrus imap, and I have them started at the default runlevel, but after
13 > booting up the machine saslauthd is not working. I started to make
14 > some tests playing with dependencies and taking out some services, as
15 > I suspected that some interaction among services could be causing
16 > saslauthd to malfunction, and came up with the following (keep in mind
17 > that cyrus has an after saslauthd dependency):
18 >
19 > 1. If I boot with no modification, saslauthd doesn't work. If I
20 > restart saslauthd just after booting the service works.
21 > 2. If I put saslauthd - cyrus to start after everything else except
22 > for local, saslauthd doesn't work
23 > 3. Then I deleted cyrus from the default runlevel. saslauthd works
24 > 4. Playing with dependencies I start saslauthd in exactly the same
25 > place it was in point 1, but without cyrus. saslauthd works
26 > 5. At this point, if I add cyrus to the default runlevel, saslauthd
27 > stops working
28 > 6. THE GREAT FINAL... I delete cyrus from the default runlevel, boot
29 > up the machine, login as root, start cyrus and... *SASLAUTHD
30 > WORKS*... wtf??????? By the way... I run NOTHING in local
32 >
33 > I'm getting crazy with this, so any help/tip/idea is greatly
34 > appreciated... I have looked at the logs with no success, and I don't
35 > understand what's the difference between running cyrus in a runlevel
36 > and starting it manually so it may affect saslauthd...
37 >
38 > Best regards
39 > Jose