From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: "Vinícius Ferrão" <viniciusferrao@××××××××××.br>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Toughts on Virtualization
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:21:55
1 Il 08/04/2012 19:47, Vinícius Ferrão ha scritto:
2 > Hello fellas,
3 >
4 > I'm considering to implement some Gentoo Servers on top of VMWare vSphere ESXi. But perhaps this is not the best option.
5 >
6 > I was googling about performance issues in this scenario and started to consider some OS-Level VT, like OpenVZ or Linux-vserver, or whatever else.
7 Linux-vserver is not real virtualization, it's more like a super-chroot.
8
9 + It's very fast (host and guest performances are the same)
10 + permit (ro)bind mounts
11 + very easy iptables configuration for nat and firewalling
12 + has deduplication, useful if many similar vs are involved (never used
13 it tough)
14 + it's very well mantained, often new versions are out minutes after the
15 vanilla kernel ones
16 - networking is less isolated, changes need stopping the vs.
17 - it's a kernel patch, applying other patches (hardened) is a pain
20 > So I'm here to ask some opinions about virtualization.
21 >
22 > My restricted set of rules (LOL):
23 > 1. I will not run anything else than Linux.
24 > 2. I don't care about GPL, BSD, Icecream, Bacon, or whatever license, since it's free, it's fine.
25 > 3. Don't need to be an Opensource solution.
26 >
27 > Thanks for any help,
28 >