From: "Daniel Schledermann (TypoConsult A/S)" <daniel@×××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Advice on Gentoo Servers
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:34:00
1 Technomancer wrote:
2
3 >I'm building 2 Gentoo servers at work. One of them will run a
4 >Postfix+Mysql+Courier Imap system and the other will be a LAMP
5 >machine. They both will run on a mid-end corporate environment.
6 >
7 >I'm using the hardened profile and kernel.
8 >
9 >I choosed Gentoo because using other distros I could not build the
10 >system the way I wanted without headache.
11 >
12 >On most cases there was the necessity of package compilation, ignoring
13 >the package management systems of most distros. This sounds like chaos
14 >to me.
17 Agreed.
20 >Using Portage I coul add and remove features of programs like Postfix
21 >without making some ugly workaround.
22 >
23 >Some people keep telling me that I'm mad and Gentoo is a poor choice
24 >for servers. I don't agree with that.
25 >
26 >I wish to hear sugestions and advices about Gentoo Servers, how could
27 >I maintain the system up to date without breaking etc etc.
31 First: Gentoo is not a poor choice for servers. It does well what you
32 need in a server: control. In my company we have deployed something like
33 20 servers with Gentoo: web servers, mail servers, database servers,
34 file servers, backup servers, you name it. We have used RedHat and
35 Debian in the past, and the Gentoo servers seems to be less trouble.
36 They are much more "just works".
37
38 Upgrading:
39 Make binary packages of the stuff you've merged. In make.conf add
40 "buildpkg" to FEATURES. That way you can alway roll-back quickly, if an
41 upgrade breaks something.
42 You need to watch out for major changes. For example:
43 - The changes around xpdf and poppler.
44 - The shift from dev-php/php,mod_php and cgi_php to dev-lang/php.
45 - The new apache-config layout.
46 - The new ftp-base dependencie to proftpd.
47 Read up on the changes BEFORE upgrading anything untrivial. For example
48 the changed php-build required some new USE-flags in order not to break
49 our servers.
50 This is accually the biggest headache with Gentoo. The portage tree is
51 just not stable.
52
53 Using binary packages:
54 Compiling on a production box is not cool, so we have tried using binary
55 packages build on a central server, but portage just doesnt do it well.
56 The PHP-builds have often had missing dependencies when merged from a
57 "remote binary".
58
59 There is a couple of alternatives that will allow custom packages the
60 same way Gentoo does, while not forcing you to compile everything.
61 - The FreeBSD system is not as flexible as Gentoo, as it operates with a
62 "base-system", but it does have a build system similar to portage, while
63 still having binaries of the most common packages. But it is not Linux,
64 and it has a very different init-system (BSD-init).
65 - Another alternative is Arch Linux, which also has binary packages, but
66 also a portage-like build system. This IS linux, but uses BSD-init, and
67 does not seem as mature as Gentoo or FreeBSD.
68
69 /Daniel

daniel.vcf text/x-vcard