From: Technomancer <zauberschloss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Advice on Gentoo Servers
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 05:36:14
1 I'm building 2 Gentoo servers at work. One of them will run a
2 Postfix+Mysql+Courier Imap system and the other will be a LAMP
3 machine. They both will run on a mid-end corporate environment.
4
5 I'm using the hardened profile and kernel.
6
7 I choosed Gentoo because using other distros I could not build the
8 system the way I wanted without headache.
9
10 On most cases there was the necessity of package compilation, ignoring
11 the package management systems of most distros. This sounds like chaos
12 to me.
13
14 Using Portage I coul add and remove features of programs like Postfix
15 without making some ugly workaround.
16
17 Some people keep telling me that I'm mad and Gentoo is a poor choice
18 for servers. I don't agree with that.
19
20 I wish to hear sugestions and advices about Gentoo Servers, how could
21 I maintain the system up to date without breaking etc etc.
22
23 And forgive my poor english... It's not my native language.
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list