From: "Michael Stewart (vericgar)" <vericgar@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] upgrading to gcc 3.4.4 on production server
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:06:34
1 Timo Veith wrote:
2 > Hi list readers,
3 >
4 > I have a server on which I haven't done the upgrade yet because I am
5 > afraid of that potentially dangerous and long running procedure.
6 >
7 > What experiences do you have with upgrading gcc on production systems?
8 > Did everything went smoothly by following the upgrade howto [1]?
9 >
10 > My system is a mailserver, running postfix, cyrus-imap, amavis and
11 > spamassasin, apache, squirrelmail to name the most important ones.
14 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
15 >
16 > TIA and regards
17 >
18 > Timo
19
20 You really should set up a test environment (if you don't have one
21 already) and do it there.
22
23 You may also want to consider setting up a build server which will
24 compile your packages for your specific setup so all you have to do on
25 the production server is merge the binary.
26
27 As far as the gcc upgrade, I haven't done it myself. Is there a specific
28 reason you need the latest version? If not, then why upgrade?
31 Michael Stewart vericgar@g.o
32 Gentoo Developer http://dev.gentoo.org/~vericgar
33
34 GnuPG Key ID 0x08614788 available on http://pgp.mit.edu