From: Timo Veith <tv@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] upgrading to gcc 3.4.4 on production server
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:02:22
1 Am Mittwoch 15 Februar 2006 01:02 schrieb Michael Stewart (vericgar):
2 > You really should set up a test environment (if you don't have one
3 > already) and do it there.
4
5 Hmm, I've done a upgrade on my personal workstation and it went ok. So the
6 issue is not that I haven't done any gcc upgrade, yet. But on my
7 workstation nobody else is affected if anything goes wrong. I can do
8 reboots, unmerges or remerges etc.
9
10 I am a little concerned about doing it on the production server, although
11 I don't know of any problems yet. I just want to be carefull.
12
13 > You may also want to consider setting up a build server which will
14 > compile your packages for your specific setup so all you have to do on
15 > the production server is merge the binary.
16
17 Of course in general this is a good thing, but setting up a build
18 environment for just about five production systems seems to be too much
19 overhead to me. The machines we have aren't the same, as far as
20 architecture is concerned. So I would have to build packages with
21 different compiler flags. Probably there is a mechanism to solve that
22 issue, but is it really worth the effort? I would hold the compilation
23 away from the production system, but I could do it on day times where
24 only few ressources are needed. Also I can set PORTAGE_NICENESS.
25
26 > As far as the gcc upgrade, I haven't done it myself. Is there a
27 > specific reason you need the latest version? If not, then why upgrade?
28
29 I have learned that it is not possible to stay at a certain level of
30 package versions. You need to follow the flow, if you want to install
31 security updates. I know there are projects that want to take care of
32 this issue, but I think they aren't ready, yet. So I believe it could
33 only be a matter of time until you have to upgrade gcc.
34
35 Of course I could wait until it comes to that point in time. I am just
36 curious about what you think about and how you handle this.
39 Timo
40 --
41 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list