From: Brett Curtis <dashnu@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] upgrading to gcc 3.4.4 on production server
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:00:22
1 I am in exactly the same shoes as you.
2
3 On Feb 15, 2006, at 4:59 AM, Timo Veith wrote:
4
5 > Am Mittwoch 15 Februar 2006 01:02 schrieb Michael Stewart (vericgar):
6 >> You really should set up a test environment (if you don't have one
7 >> already) and do it there.
8 >
9 > Hmm, I've done a upgrade on my personal workstation and it went ok.
10 > So the
11 > issue is not that I haven't done any gcc upgrade, yet. But on my
12 > workstation nobody else is affected if anything goes wrong. I can do
13 > reboots, unmerges or remerges etc.
14 >
15 > I am a little concerned about doing it on the production server,
16 > although
17 > I don't know of any problems yet. I just want to be carefull.
18 >
19 >> You may also want to consider setting up a build server which will
20 >> compile your packages for your specific setup so all you have to
21 >> do on
22 >> the production server is merge the binary.
23 >
24 > Of course in general this is a good thing, but setting up a build
25 > environment for just about five production systems seems to be too
26 > much
27 > overhead to me. The machines we have aren't the same, as far as
28 > architecture is concerned. So I would have to build packages with
29 > different compiler flags. Probably there is a mechanism to solve that
30 > issue, but is it really worth the effort? I would hold the compilation
31 > away from the production system, but I could do it on day times where
32 > only few ressources are needed. Also I can set PORTAGE_NICENESS.
33 >
34 I have 6 production servers most with different archs. I feel there
35 is a lot of overhead also. not to mention we are a start up and all
36 of my servers are being used to the fullest. We at this point in time
37 cant afford to have a test server.
38
39 >> As far as the gcc upgrade, I haven't done it myself. Is there a
40 >> specific reason you need the latest version? If not, then why
41 >> upgrade?
42
43 I like this approach however, my question is when will we be forced
44 to upgrade.
47 > I have learned that it is not possible to stay at a certain level of
48 > package versions. You need to follow the flow, if you want to install
49 > security updates. I know there are projects that want to take care of
50 > this issue, but I think they aren't ready, yet. So I believe it could
51 > only be a matter of time until you have to upgrade gcc.
52 >
53 > Of course I could wait until it comes to that point in time. I am just
54 > curious about what you think about and how you handle this.
57 When this point in time comes.. It is time to shed a tear for me.. I
58 hope by then I get new servers and rotate services with fresh installs.
59
60 > --
61 > Timo
62 > --