From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] upgrading to gcc 3.4.4 on production server
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:33:07
1 On 15/02/06, Brett Curtis <dashnu@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have 6 production servers most with different archs. I feel there
4
5 When you say "arches", are you referring to the host architecture or
6 to x86 class systems that are just using different processors? No
7 doubt this has been discussed before but if you're using x86 class
8 systems then there are ways to build a suitably generic system. For
9 example, let's assume that all of your servers are using i686 class
10 processors (yet most of them are P3 based so you'd like to optimise
11 for that case). You could use the following in make.conf:
12
13 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
14 CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=pentium3 -O2"
15 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
16
17 Here's another example which allows a system to be deployed to 586
18 class systems but still tunes for i686 class processors in general:
19
20 CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
21 CFLAGS="-march=i586 -mtune=i686"
22 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
23
24 Note that gcc-3.3 uses the -mcpu parameter in place of -mtune. gcc-3.4
25 will recognise the -mcpu parameter but warn about it (eventually it
26 will be dropped).
27
28 > is a lot of overhead also. not to mention we are a start up and all
29 > of my servers are being used to the fullest. We at this point in time
30 > cant afford to have a test server.
31
32 A chrooted setup that reflects the environment used on one's server(s)
33 can be deployed on any existing Linux system (even a lowly desktop).
34 Although this may not address every concern that may arise in terms of
35 testing it can make for a perfectly suitable playground in terms of
36 building binary packages to be deployed. For fuller testing,
37 qemu/vmware can also be helpful.
38
39 Cheers,
40