From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Jean Blignaut <jean@×××××××.biz>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:14:07
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 11:47, Jean Blignaut wrote:
2 > no X like you said no games (besides maybe
3 > game servers)
4
5 I think here in lies the problem - everyone has different needs from thier
6 servers. Personally, I need X on one of my servers, http://shurl.net needs it
7 to create thumbnails of websites. On some servers, the 'no games' would be a
8 problem, because 'fortune' is needed (lets face it, it's a fantastic way to
9 kill time).
10
11 I will be solving this issue shortly by using the hardened profile, along with
12 a custom overlay which will have a meta-package in called something like
13 '$companyname-server'. This will pull in iproute2, vim, fortune, nmap,
14 iptables, and everything else. This method could also be used to distribute
15 custom config files - such as your vimrc, and your screenrc.
18 Ian P. Christian
19 http://pookey.co.uk