From: Jean Blignaut <jean@×××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:54:03
1 I don't see why you'd want to have a dhcp client on a server but any
2 way...
3
4 How about the profile contains minimal packages like say no
5 productivity/office packages, no X like you said no games (besides maybe
6 game servers) basicly clear out every thing that doesn't make sence on a
7 server.
8 A great Idea would be some thing like virtual packages with flexible use
9 flags that represent use full combinations of packages on production
10 servers. What I'm getting at is this: There are some greate Howto this
11 with that and that articles in the gentoo sysadmin docs as well as
12 www.gentoo-wiki.com why not create say -- a virtual_postfix package with
13 appropriate use flags to combine say your choice of imap/pop server, db
14 backend, authentication system, antivirus and spamfilters -- all in one
15 package!
16 It might even be better if such a packages default use flags are so use
17 full that most would use it - a sort of standard.
18
19 a nother issue I find very taxing is scanning thru config files
20 during/after updates to try catch the configs that would break my setup.
21 Can't we have some means to check whether or not the admin has ever
22 edited a config file by hand and if so be more don't auto update but if
23 so do.
24 I guess I'm getting at a more complex config management system.
25 It might also have helped if config files where more standard - say if
26 they all used some vaguely similar xml format
27
28 -----Original Message-----
29 From: Patrick Lauer [mailto:patrick@g.o]
30 Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:37 PM
31 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
32 Subject: [gentoo-server] Ideas for a server profile?
33
34 Hi all,
35
36 I've been thinking about a restricted profile for servers. It should be
37 minimal (no crap useflags) and as secure as possible by default.
38 What I think should be in there:
39
40 - no X and multimedia useflags by default (-esd -gnome -gtk -kde ...)
41 - put a dhcp client back in system. Not having that sucks, and we can
42 spare the 135kB installed.
43 - put gentoolkit in. equery, revdep-rebuild etc. are needed.
44 - having cron, atd, ... in system would be nice, do we want that?
45 - use as much from hardened profiles as we can. SSP is good :-)
46 (- use hardened-sources by default if possible, PaX etc. is very very
47 good )
48 - keep default CFLAGS simple - "-O2 -pipe" should be good enough
49 - no LDFLAGS unless there are no known bugs (e.g. "-O1" breaks prelink
50 in some cases)
51
52 What applications do you install on every system? What sshould be
53 provided for logging, monitoring, intrusion detection?
54 Is there anything that sucks in the default profiles?
55
56 Thanks for the feedback,
57
58 Patrick
59 --
60 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move
63 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list