From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:21:54
1 On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 13:47 +0200, Jean Blignaut wrote:
2 > I don't see why you'd want to have a dhcp client on a server but any
3 > way...
4 "Just in case" ... I've been almost locked out of machines because they lacked a dhcp client.
5 I'm not after a strictly-server-only profile, and having dhcp available
6 by default "makes sense"(tm)
7 > How about the profile contains minimal packages like say no
8 > productivity/office packages, no X like you said no games (besides maybe
9 > game servers) basicly clear out every thing that doesn't make sence on a
10 > server.
11 Basically an independent overlay / portage tree with only minimal
12 package sets available?
13 That is difficult because then not all packages are available --> more
14 overlay fudgery
15
16 > A great Idea would be some thing like virtual packages with flexible use
17 > flags that represent use full combinations of packages on production
18 > servers. What I'm getting at is this: There are some greate Howto this
19 > with that and that articles in the gentoo sysadmin docs as well as
20 > www.gentoo-wiki.com why not create say -- a virtual_postfix package with
21 > appropriate use flags to combine say your choice of imap/pop server, db
22 > backend, authentication system, antivirus and spamfilters -- all in one
23 > package!
24 Ah, meta-packages ... lots of work, but that'd be really cool.
25
26 > It might even be better if such a packages default use flags are so use
27 > full that most would use it - a sort of standard.
28 How do you decide that? You can only do a survey and ask for useflags, then hope people don't have to change too much ...
29
30 > a nother issue I find very taxing is scanning thru config files
31 > during/after updates to try catch the configs that would break my setup.
32 > Can't we have some means to check whether or not the admin has ever
33 > edited a config file by hand and if so be more don't auto update but if
34 > so do.
35 In theory yes, but I'm not sure if that is reliable. Config managment is
36 tricky on gentoo and should be extended.
37 > I guess I'm getting at a more complex config management system.
38 > It might also have helped if config files where more standard - say if
39 > they all used some vaguely similar xml format
40 Like, say, libconf?
41
42 Patrick
43 --
44 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move