From: Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SPAM protection by requesting confirmation
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:07:54
1 On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 23:02 +0300, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 02:41:59PM -0500, Homer Parker wrote:
5 > > quarantine that you can go through and look for false positives
6 >
7 > At first, normal mail will not be delivered timely, just because it will
8 > be in quarantine, and usually people doesn't check quarantine even once
9 > per day.
10
11 Mine mails the lowest 100 scoring spams (I use the defaults of tag at
12 5, quarantine at 10.. And the end user can adjust that how they see fit)
13 in the quarantine daily, and the subscribers appreciate looking that
14 over rather then not having a usable Inbox. (I do domain hosting)
15
16 > At second, normal mail will be lost, because while checking quarantine and
17 > looking for false positives some normal mail will not be detected, because
18 > it's hard enough work and people do mistakes.
19
20 As it will get lost in an Inbox full of spam.. Spamassassin quarantines
21 2500-3000 spams a week on one of my accounts, I'd lose lots of legit
22 email if that was in my Inbox... That said, I don't remember digging one
23 out of the quarantine in a very long time, I do get some forwarded jokes
24 tagged because it's been forwarded 10 times or something.. I can live
25 with that..
26
27 > And last, if I will check quarantine every few hours, I'll handle not so
28 > much spam messages and chances are I'll not delete normal mail by mistake.
29 > Yeah. But, in this case, what's the difference between using tools like
30 > SpamAssassin and not using these tools at all and still handling all these
31 > spam mail every few hours inside "inbox" instead of "quarantine"?
32
33 In my case it's a usable Inbox vs 2500-3000 spams a week clogging it
34 up.. Spamassassin isn't a fire and forget piece of software.. You need
35 to train bayes, keep rules updated, write rules, etc... I hear
36 bogofilter is decent as well, might look into it.. But there's no way I
37 could handle using email without filtering to a quarantine..
40 Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>