From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Building binary packages
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 03:37:33
1 Robert Larson wrote:
2
3 > I am curious, does this (gentoo-buildhoster setup) work across platform
4 > and is
5 > it generally error/problem free during the builds and runtime? Also, is
6 > it 1 build environment per host, so 20 very different servers might need
7 > 20 individual build environments?
8
9 I have only tested on x86 and ppc. Each buildhost is based on three things
10 - a specific portage snapshot, a stage tarball, and a set of config files
11 (make.conf, /etc/portage/*). You can use it to build 20 different sets
12 from stage1, build a custom stage3 and use it to start with, or start from
13 an official release stage3. If you start with a stage1 tarball,
14 buildhost-stage3 will handle the bootstrapping and emerge -e system for
15 you. The only thing it will _not_ do is build a stage1 for you.
16
17 Personally I build one for dns servers, one for web servers, one for
18 database servers, I have one just for my laptop, one just for my myth box,
19 and so on. It is just a bunch of shell scripts that automates building in
20 a chroot. I also have a web interface that uses it to generate automated
21 installation cds, but it isn't really documented or ready for public
22 consumption :)
25 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list