From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Building binary packages
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:31:58
1 On Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:23 pm, MIkey wrote:
2 > Thomas Schreiner wrote:
3 > > That's why I was planning to build a binary package for mysql-4.1 on a
4 > > second host in order to install it on my production server, but I could
5 > > not find a list of common pitfalls to consider while building packages
6 > > for a different host. These are the things that I can think of so far:
7 >
8 > This is the only way I do packaging - I build all binary packages in a
9 > chroot on the fastest box I can get my hands on. In other words I use a
10 > pentium4 workstation to build binaries for my PIII's, PII's, etc...
11 >
12 > If you are interested the system I use is at:
13 >
14 > http://badpenguins.com/source/gentoo-buildhoster
15 >
16 > You can download the ebuild and stick it in an overlay. There is a sample
17 > tutorial.
18
19 I am curious, does this (gentoo-buildhoster setup) work across platform and is
20 it generally error/problem free during the builds and runtime? Also, is it 1
21 build environment per host, so 20 very different servers might need 20
22 individual build environments?
23
24 TYVM,
25