From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:45:36
1 Hi Eric,
2
3 Perhaps this may help you on the forum
4
5 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57754&highlight=boot+usb+disk
6
7 it's a "Build your own Gentoo install / boot / rescue USBStick"
8
9 I think to get your usb cd to work on boot, you need to tell the right
10 modules to load at the beginning.. which won't happen on most distribution
11 cds.
12
13 You could make your own gentoo boot usb stick, and install gentoo from that.
14
15 It's kind of diving in head first :) but the forums are very good.
16
17 Anyway, perhaps reading the thread will spark some ideas.
18
19 Chris
20
21 -----Original Message-----
22 From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
23 Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:39 AM
24 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
25 Subject: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
26
27 Has anyone any information on installing gentoo on a Dell Poweredge 1655mc?
28
29 My problem is that these servers don't have ide or scsi floppy or cdrom
30 drives.
31
32 It has just one usb 1.0 plug which I *can* boot the live cd from, but
33 *all* the cd's(knoppix too) fail to find the cdrom device when It comes
34 time.
35 I've tryed PXE booting to start the install but I only have a redhat
36 server to work from and for me thats like pulling my own teeth with a
37 claw hammer.
38
39 Someone mentioned having to pass arguments to the kernel at boot , I
40 have tryed nohotplug , hdc=ide-scsi , hdc=/dev/scd0 , and several others
41 without success.
42
43 HELP I really really need to be redhat ridden, I suck at rpm's and
44 don't care to waste the rest of my week learning them enough to remove
45 RH to install gentoo.
48 Eric