From: Eric G Ortego <eric@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:48:58
1 Chris Smart wrote:
2
3 >Hi Eric,
4 >
5 >Perhaps this may help you on the forum
6 >
7 >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57754&highlight=boot+usb+disk
8 >
9 >it's a "Build your own Gentoo install / boot / rescue USBStick"
10 >
11 >I think to get your usb cd to work on boot, you need to tell the right
12 >modules to load at the beginning.. which won't happen on most distribution
13 >cds.
14 >
15 >You could make your own gentoo boot usb stick, and install gentoo from that.
16 >
17 >It's kind of diving in head first :) but the forums are very good.
18 >
19 >Anyway, perhaps reading the thread will spark some ideas.
20 >
21 >Chris
24 Thanks, I do have an existing gentoo install, unfortunatly its on my
25 laptop which is a ppc not a P3.
26 And I don't have a pen drive just this cursed cdrom.
27
28 >-----Original Message-----
29 >From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
30 >Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:39 AM
31 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
32 >Subject: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
33 >
34 >Has anyone any information on installing gentoo on a Dell Poweredge 1655mc?
35 >
36 >My problem is that these servers don't have ide or scsi floppy or cdrom
37 >drives.
38 >
39 >It has just one usb 1.0 plug which I *can* boot the live cd from, but
40 >*all* the cd's(knoppix too) fail to find the cdrom device when It comes
41 >time.
42 >I've tryed PXE booting to start the install but I only have a redhat
43 >server to work from and for me thats like pulling my own teeth with a
44 >claw hammer.
45 >
46 >Someone mentioned having to pass arguments to the kernel at boot , I
47 >have tryed nohotplug , hdc=ide-scsi , hdc=/dev/scd0 , and several others
48 >without success.
49 >
50 >HELP I really really need to be redhat ridden, I suck at rpm's and
51 >don't care to waste the rest of my week learning them enough to remove
52 >RH to install gentoo.
53 >
54 >--
55 >Eric