From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:52:09
1 Hmm.. can you open the Dell, or is it still under warranty?
2
3 If you can open it, then you could install a temporary cdrom drive.
4
5 If you can buy or borrow a 64mb or higher usb stick, you could use this
6 distro, flonix, that I just found on the net.
7
8 http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/index.php
9
10 It is designed to run from a usb disk - you could boot to this (like
11 knoppix) and install gentoo from there..
12
13 Just a thought :)
14
15 -----Original Message-----
16 From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
17 Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:49 AM
18 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
19 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
23 Chris Smart wrote:
24
25 >Hi Eric,
26 >
27 >Perhaps this may help you on the forum
28 >
29 >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57754&highlight=boot+usb+disk
30 >
31 >it's a "Build your own Gentoo install / boot / rescue USBStick"
32 >
33 >I think to get your usb cd to work on boot, you need to tell the right
34 >modules to load at the beginning.. which won't happen on most distribution
35 >cds.
36 >
37 >You could make your own gentoo boot usb stick, and install gentoo from
38 that.
39 >
40 >It's kind of diving in head first :) but the forums are very good.
41 >
42 >Anyway, perhaps reading the thread will spark some ideas.
43 >
44 >Chris
47 Thanks, I do have an existing gentoo install, unfortunatly its on my
48 laptop which is a ppc not a P3.
49 And I don't have a pen drive just this cursed cdrom.
50
51 >-----Original Message-----
52 >From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
53 >Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:39 AM
54 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
55 >Subject: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
56 >
57 >Has anyone any information on installing gentoo on a Dell Poweredge 1655mc?
58 >
59 >My problem is that these servers don't have ide or scsi floppy or cdrom
60 >drives.
61 >
62 >It has just one usb 1.0 plug which I *can* boot the live cd from, but
63 >*all* the cd's(knoppix too) fail to find the cdrom device when It comes
64 >time.
65 >I've tryed PXE booting to start the install but I only have a redhat
66 >server to work from and for me thats like pulling my own teeth with a
67 >claw hammer.
68 >
69 >Someone mentioned having to pass arguments to the kernel at boot , I
70 >have tryed nohotplug , hdc=ide-scsi , hdc=/dev/scd0 , and several others
71 >without success.
72 >
73 >HELP I really really need to be redhat ridden, I suck at rpm's and
74 >don't care to waste the rest of my week learning them enough to remove
75 >RH to install gentoo.
76 >
77 >--
78 >Eric