From: Eric G Ortego <eric@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:23
1 Chris Smart wrote:
2
3 >Hmm.. can you open the Dell, or is it still under warranty?
6 Both
7
8 >If you can open it, then you could install a temporary cdrom drive.
12 There is no feasible way to install a temporary cdrom drive, its a
13 bladeserver.
14
15 >If you can buy or borrow a 64mb or higher usb stick, you could use this
16 >distro, flonix, that I just found on the net.
17 >
18 >http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/index.php
19 >
20 >It is designed to run from a usb disk - you could boot to this (like
21 >knoppix) and install gentoo from there..
22 >
23 >Just a thought :)
26 And A swell one. I certianly need to get a usbstick for occasions like
27 this but this is not a solution at the moment.
28
29 >-----Original Message-----
30 >From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
31 >Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:49 AM
32 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
33 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
37 >Chris Smart wrote:
41 >>Hi Eric,
42 >>
43 >>Perhaps this may help you on the forum
44 >>
45 >>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57754&highlight=boot+usb+disk
46 >>
47 >>it's a "Build your own Gentoo install / boot / rescue USBStick"
48 >>
49 >>I think to get your usb cd to work on boot, you need to tell the right
50 >>modules to load at the beginning.. which won't happen on most distribution
51 >>cds.
52 >>
53 >>You could make your own gentoo boot usb stick, and install gentoo from
56 >that.
59 >>It's kind of diving in head first :) but the forums are very good.
60 >>
61 >>Anyway, perhaps reading the thread will spark some ideas.
62 >>
63 >>Chris
68 >Thanks, I do have an existing gentoo install, unfortunatly its on my
69 >laptop which is a ppc not a P3.
70 >And I don't have a pen drive just this cursed cdrom.
74 >>-----Original Message-----
75 >>From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
76 >>Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:39 AM
77 >>To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
78 >>Subject: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
79 >>
80 >>Has anyone any information on installing gentoo on a Dell Poweredge 1655mc?
81 >>
82 >>My problem is that these servers don't have ide or scsi floppy or cdrom
83 >>drives.
84 >>
85 >>It has just one usb 1.0 plug which I *can* boot the live cd from, but
86 >>*all* the cd's(knoppix too) fail to find the cdrom device when It comes
87 >>time.
88 >>I've tryed PXE booting to start the install but I only have a redhat
89 >>server to work from and for me thats like pulling my own teeth with a
90 >>claw hammer.
91 >>
92 >>Someone mentioned having to pass arguments to the kernel at boot , I
93 >>have tryed nohotplug , hdc=ide-scsi , hdc=/dev/scd0 , and several others
94 >>without success.
95 >>
96 >>HELP I really really need to be redhat ridden, I suck at rpm's and
97 >>don't care to waste the rest of my week learning them enough to remove
98 >>RH to install gentoo.
99 >>
100 >>--
101 >>Eric