From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] nfs problems truncating files
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:09:05
1 Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2
3 > Michiel de Bruijne wrote:
4 >
5 >> Where you able to resolve this?
8 > Yep I have been able to resolve this by switching to the userspace
9 > nfsd implementation
10 > It appears to be a kernel bug with regard to the combination of LVM2 +
11 > NFS-kernelspace + 9Tb
12
13 It turned out to be another bug related to reiserfs.
14
15 For those interested more data is here [1]:
16 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
17 forum_id=4930&max_rows=25&style=flat&viewmonth=200511&viewday=1
18
19 and here [2]:
20 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=reiserfs&m=112255940804474&w=2
21
22 In short: Although reiserfs reports in it's FAQ that it supports
23 filesystems up to 16Tb with the default options (4K blocks) it supports
24 only 8Tb. It doesn't fail however and appears to work correctly when
25 using the local filesystem, the problems start showing up when using NFS.
26
27 From the post on [2] this is caused by a bug in reiserfsprogs that
28 doesn't fully check the blockdescriptor when formatting. Apart from that
29 the FAQ entry stating that reiserfs supports filesystems up to 16Tb is
30 just plain wrong.
31
32 I fixed the problem by using another filesystem. Based on comments on
33 the nfs-ml and the excellent article in last months linuxgazette on
34 filesystem performance we switched to jfs.
35 So far it's holding up very good. We haven't seen the problems
36 reappearing with files in excess of 1Gb
37
38 Will be stress-testing nfs probably this week. If anybody is interested
39 I could post the data ?
40
41 Regards,
42
43 Ramon
46 To be stupid and selfish and to have good health are the three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, the others are useless.
47
48 Gustave Flaubert
54 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list