From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Wrapping my brain around a gold server.
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 01:00:14
1 On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 03:29, Dormando wrote:
2 > Currently I help manage a melange (over 300) of servers ranging from
3 > sunos, to redhat 6.2, to redhat 7.2+. I hope that mayhaps in a year or so
4 > the gentoo server project will be mature enough to start rolling out
5 > servers under infrastructure planning, and slowly rebuild old servers
6 > into the new setup. I'm relatively new here, and there's a hell of a lot
7 > of legacy in this network.
8
9 There always is legacy.
10
11 That fact has been a touch absent in these discussions. If we're really
12 smart, we won't just create a gentoo-gold-server which is only suitable
13 for use in networks of gentoo machines, we'll create a master server
14 which runs gentoo and which is suitable to act as gold server for a
15 whole suite of machines, regardless of OS.
16
17 Obviously, it'll be central to managing the emerge side of downstream
18 gentoo machines, but don't forget the bootstrapping paper's point: there
19 are many architectures in any environment, and you need to be able to
20 work with all of them.
21
22 Andrea's Barisani's email (which I forwarded) about having had to
23 organize a master server with directories for different processor
24 architectures probably needs to be extended with two other ideas:
25 classes of machines (as you're talking about, Dormando) and operating
26 systems.
27
28 You need:
29
30 Architecture
31 P3, Athalon, UltraSPARC III (sun4u whatever), PowerPC
32
33 Operating System
34 Gentoo Linux, Red Hat Linux, Debian Linux, Solaris Unix,
35 AIX Unix, *BSD, [and yes, potentially even Mac OS X
36 ultimately Windows] - whatever you have that, legacy or
37 otherwise, you have to sustain
38
39 Class
40 webserver, mailserver, MySql database, Postgres database,
41 Oracle database, fileserver, authentication server, directory
42 server, ...
43
44 Building *everything* (in the case of Gentoo or BSD) and/or mirroring
45 everything (in the case of Debian, RedHat, and the commercial Unixes)
46 for every permutation would be silly. But one idea that might be good
47 would be build (mirror) on demand.
48
49 To digress quickly, if you've ever worked with PHP, you know that you
50 can go to php.net/function and get a lookup of that function in the PHP
51 online manual. Every possible jump hasn't been figured out; rather none
52 of them are - they just use a 404 handler which has some intelligence to
53 find in the manual what you might be looking for. Yahoo uses the same
54 trick with the stock quote charts (eg
55 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AUDUSD=X&d=c&t=my ). Every chart isn't
56 regenerated every moment; rather, if a request comes in for a chart the
57 cache is checked, and then if the request is for a chart that hasn't
58 been generated yet, then it gets generated, served, and added to the
59 cache. Forcing updates are a simple matter of wiping files from the
60 cache every so often.
61
62 The same idea might be useful with our gold server. Rather than
63 building/mirroring *every possible combination* ahead of time, we might
64 instead write things so that when they're requested the first time, we
65 go ahead and fetch/build it, and then let it be pulled down.
66
67 This is better, for example, than building mysql 13 times, once for each
68 OS/Architecture combination you have, when you only need it once or
69 twice. And when, next year, you need it for a new third combination,
70 that's when it gets prepared, ready to order).
71
72 You could, of course always use some simple tool to pre-load the cache
73 on your gold server (or, if you will, order up a certain combination) if
74 you know in advance you're going to need it.
75
76 [Someone mentioned network aware portage. Maybe, maybe not. But this
77 approach above might imply some sort of network level "world" style
78 file, although that's more a gold server concept than a Gentoo one]
79
80 For some related thoughts, you might want to see apt-cacher in Debian by
81 Nick Andrew and Jon Oxer: http://www.apt-cacher.org
82
83 AfC
86 Andrew Frederick Cowie
87 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
88
89 Australia +61 2 9977 6866 North America +1 646 270 5376
90
91 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/