From: Dormando <dormando@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Wrapping my brain around a gold server.
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:29:53
1 Hey,
2
3 I've been lurking for a bit, and I guess it's time to open my mouth and
4 firmly implant foot:
5
6 I have a base understanding of everything in the infrastructures.org
7 document, although I need some more free time to digest and re-read the
8 whole thing. I've also been keeping up with all of the discussions so far,
9 and perusing the wiki when I have time.
10
11 Is this easily applicable to reserving machines, and giving those
12 hardawre classes? A lot of this talk is about kickstarting machines into
13 a class, preparing updates for a class, etc.
14
15 But what I'm looking at (at least in my own work), are possibly two sets
16 of classes, but one overlaps the other.
17
18 What I aim to be able to do easily, is have a "cluster" or available
19 machines with various hardware configurations running (or possibly even
20 extended to wait for wakeup-on-lan, but that's above this scope). So when
21 we do our quarterly hardware ordering, as soon as we get the machines we
22 kickstart them into a bare, bare install and shove them in a rack. Then,
23 as we need them, we can define a class and have the configration system
24 pull an appropriate machine out of the pool, and tell it to class itself
25 for the correct packages.
26
27 But there are possibly two classes; in this example, I have hardware
28 configured with dual P4 xeons (for heavy hitting DB servers, mail servers,
29 etc), and slower non-scsi machines for dynamic webservers. When I
30 kickstart each of these, I would add them to a hardware class pool (These
31 are P4 xeons, these are dual athlon mp's...)
32
33 >From there, when I say "I want another MySQL DB server", the gold server
34 would give it a class for those packages, compiled under its hardware
35 class. I could also should probably say "I want a dual P4 xeon MySQL DB
36 server"
37 Then the next time the selected machine does a pull, it would magically
38 become a database server, awaiting further CVS configuration. It wouldn't
39 need to compile *all* of the P4 packages for a DB server, or a mail
40 server, it would need to keep a compile for all required packages matched
41 by all software classes for each hardware class. Yeah?
42
43 Does this make sense, and am I on the right or left track? :)
44
45 Currently I help manage a melange (over 300) of servers ranging from
46 sunos, to redhat 6.2, to redhat 7.2+. I hope that mayhaps in a year or so
47 the gentoo server project will be mature enough to start rolling out
48 servers under infrastructure planning, and slowly rebuild old servers
49 into the new setup. I'm relatively new here, and there's a hell of a lot
50 of legacy in this network.
51
52 have fun,
53 -Dormando