From: Wade Mealing <wmealing@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Basic Boot deployment
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:03:45
1 For those who read this, and think that it doesnt make alot of sense,
2 this was hard to write.. so bear with me.
3
4 The Gold server intends to be able to deploy many platforms, although
5 our focus will be simplified Gentoo Server deployment. Gentoo lends
6 itself to this form of deployment, but I believe that deployment and
7 integration of existing legacy systems is an important part of the gold
8 server.
9
10 The method of deploying these "images" should be as similar as possible
11 across operating systems and platforms.
12
13 Any deriviation from the default installation methods should converge
14 back to the main installation tree method as soon as possible.
15
16 The planned method is listed below.
17
18 Network Boot ( PXEboot on intel )
19 Kernel
20 NFS mount root file system ( From Gold Server)
21 init
22 installation
23 -> (Via KICKSTART or GLIS or OTHER)
24 -> disk/package configuration via any of the above
25 pulling from goldserver.
26 Machine specific configuration via CVSup
27 bootloader (Grub, Lilo, MILO )
28 reboot
29
30 At the moment, I have the first 5 steps working on an intel system, and
31 need to get the installation part working, (Trying to hackup kickstart,
32 any python coders on this list ?) to move away from RPM and more towards
33 emerge.
34
35 An alternative method as mentioned on IRC this week, is using GLIS,
36 although this isnt able to "boot" and configure from a configuration
37 file .. yet.
38
39 Just bringing people up to speed on what ive been working on, and it
40 seems a like things are a bit slow right now, but you can be assured
41 that things are moving.
42
43 This same method can be used to implement a windows install by
44 downloading a windows image (previously uploaded) and writing it to the
45 local disk.
46
47 I know i've covered alot of ground, in this document and would like to
48 know your thoughts on it.
49
50 Please keep to technical discussion.
51