From: Justin Filoseta <jf.gentoo-ml@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Basic Boot deployment
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:28:10
1 On Tuesday 05 August 2003 06:53 am, Wade Mealing wrote:
2
3 <>
4 >
5 > This same method can be used to implement a windows install by
6 > downloading a windows image (previously uploaded) and writing it to the
7 > local disk.
8 >
9 <>
10
11 As much as I dislike working with windows and have little use for its space on
12 a gold server, it is important to quite a few others. On that note, it is no
13 longer necessary to image the systems, there is actually a kickstart type
14 install for the beast. Details on diegostart can be found
15 http://www.math.gatech.edu/~dijuremo/uwi.html
16
17 Unfortunately the requirements for the windows kickstart include samba shares
18 which may not be suitable for the gold server. However, it is something to
19 consider rather than imaging windows boxes.
20
21 As far as kickstart for redhat goes, I have completely unattended install
22 files with post install scripts completing all of the configuration needed to
23 prep the system for desktop/server use. At the moment they still require a
24 custom CD to boot and choose the layout rather than utilizing a database of
25 MACs and PXE. A good chunk of the work is not mine, and everything added to
26 kickstarts capabilities was done in bash or perl (as my knowledge of python
27 is meager at best), but if this type of thing would be any help to you Wade
28 just let me know. I don't think the above setup will easily convert to
29 emerge, and personally think GLIS (or derivative) is definitely the way to go
30 for Gentoo, but when it comes time to add support for RH I have access to
31 quite a bit of the necessary setup and code. Note, this does require a http
32 server on the gold box (or a machine controlled by gold box).
33
34 I will start looking at the GLIS script to see about creating a seperate
35 config file although their next milestone is pretty much dedicated to this,
36 so it should be a viable option shortly.
37
38 Dreaming of the day I can bring Gentoo to my network...
39 Justin Filoseta