From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] There should be a Handbook for installing Paravirtualized Gentoo Servers, do you agree?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:04:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 Sorry been very busy with office work. I'll see what I can do this week.
4
5 On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 14:32, Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl> wrote:
6 > Hi
7 >
8 > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 14:17, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
9 >> Okay, I just completed installing my 11th Gentoo server. Now I have a
10 >> running total of 6 servers on VMware Cloud, and 5 servers on
11 >> XenServer. (Still more to come, no worries; consider these as pilot
12 >> project).
13 >>
14 >> Fact is, I did all (or at least the early ones) that by pure (and
15 >> painful) trial-and-error. Especially so since many useful tidbits of
16 >> info on the 'net is sadly out-of-date.
17 >
18 > I was wondering why you found it painful and what was different
19 > compared to a normal install ?
20 >
21 > Ramon
24 With VMware, not too painful. Just have a booting kernel the first
25 time around, then whittle down the kernelconfig to the barest
26 necessity.
27
28 With XenServer ... there will be gnashing of teeth come time to reboot
29 if you forgot some things. Especially the 'transformation' of /dev/sda
30 into /dev/xvda (or xvdb). Or the fact that XenServer's pygrub is too
31 dumb to understand any kernel/initramfs compression except gzip.
32
33 Complexities will in addition arise when you want to ensure your VM to
34 be migratable between (physical) hosts. This bit me rather hard when I
35 first installed Gentoo in my Cloud Provider's VMware. A particular VM
36 failed to migrate, and I had to spend some time asking my CP to
37 shuffle it around before it will boot and I can see WTF went wrong in
38 the logs.
39
40 Rgds,
41 --
42 Pandu E Poluan
43 ~ IT Optimizer ~
44 Visit my Blog: http://pepoluan.posterous.com
45 Google Talk:    pepoluan
46 Y! messenger: pepoluan
47 MSN / Live:      pepoluan@×××××××.com (do not send email here)
48 Skype:            pepoluan
49 More on me:  My LinkedIn Account  My Facebook Account