From: Thomas Schreiner <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Building binary packages
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:55:26
1 Hi,
2
3 my problem upgrading to mysql-4.1 is the downtime that I am going to get
4 while the new build completes.
5
6 That's why I was planning to build a binary package for mysql-4.1 on a
7 second host in order to install it on my production server, but I could
8 not find a list of common pitfalls to consider while building packages
9 for a different host. These are the things that I can think of so far:
10
11 - appropriate make.conf, CFLAGS etc.
12 - right USE flags (or make.profile in general)
13 - same version of libraries / dependencies to prevent dynamic linking of
14 libraries that don't exist on target host (that's going to be a hard one)
15
16 Is there a HowTo that lists all things to consider, or is it a
17 generally discouraged thing to build packages for another host if the hosts
18 are not 100% the same?
19
20 Thanks a lot
21