From: RijilV <rijilv@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Challenging Update Question
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:34:40
1 yeah, however if you leave a system alone without updating it for a few
2 years, its totally a 2006.0 or wherever you left off at. You probably aren't
3 going to succeed at an 'emerge -Du world' either. The version-less system
4 only works if you do the work to keep yours updated. Don't get me wrong, I
5 think this is way better than the rest of the dead-end distros.
6
7 And, FWIW, there is some breakage between 2007.0 and 2008.0. Off the top of
8 my head the way apache modules are compiled has changed.
11 I would like to suggest that if you (Collin) have no intention of updating
12 your system, you pick another distro. Dealing with the a broken package
13 once or moth or so and updating your system alteast as frequently are just
14 part of how Gentoo was designed. Failure to do so is going to leave you in
15 a situation very much like that of any other dead-end-distro, however there
16 are going to be many less resources within the Gentoo community for helping
17 you support your system.
18
19 .r'
20