From: Robert Sanders <rob-lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Console access & auto ignore filesystem error at boot
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:42:38
1 On Thursday 25 March 2004 03:02 pm, Sebastien Arnaud wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I recently setup a few new Gentoo servers at a datacenter where we host
5 > all our production environment. Today, for some reason we had to hard
6 > reboot one of them, but it never came back up. A technician had to
7 > drive down to the datacenter to see that some corruption had occurred
8 > on the disk (reiserfs on the / mount point) and that it was waiting for
9 > a root password or Control D to continue.
10 > Anyway to change this behavior to make sure that the server always
11 > boots and launches the SSH daemon to allow remote access to fix any
12 > issues?
13
14 No, because you cannot mount the / partition to load the enviroment and ssh
15 and still do a filesystem check. Also, usually when you hit that point, it's
16 not something that is going to boot without manual intervention. Usually,
17 ctrl+d doesn't boot the machine.
18
19 Part of the reason it does this is to give you a chance to repair a failed
20 filesystem before it trys to mount it. You _could_ change your fstab options
21 and tell it not to check on boot, but I wouldn't do.
22
23 "The sixth field (0) is used by fsck (the filesystem check utility) to
24 determine the order in which filesystems should be checked.
25 If zero then fsck won't check the filesystem."
28 > On the same topic, does anybody know how to setup in Gentoo a console
29 > access through one of our serial COM ports ? I would like to be able to
30 > get access to the console of the Gentoo servers in case for some reason
31 > the server does not start properly and does not launch the SSH daemon
32 > for remote admin.
33
34 The best equipment for total remote administration would be KVM over IP.
35 Quite pricey though, sometimes it's better to just have a local tech or use
36 the DC's remote hands, or go with a company that offers a bit more service to
37 co-location.
38
39 Honestly, out of the 100 or so servers I manage in our datacenter, I might run
40 into that problem twice a year. We use ext3, but I can't see reiserfs being
41 all that bad either. The worst I've ever seen was one co-lo client, it took
42 several hours to repair his disk, but typically its a rare problem for us.
45 Rob