From: Andrea Ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] lm-sensors problem
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:49:49
1 > From: "Stewart Honsberger" <blkdeath@g.o>
2 > Andrea Ferraris wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Mobo: ECS K7S5A Pro with Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM
6 > [...]
7 >
8 > It may or may not be related to your problem, but the K7S5A model line
9 > of ECS boards was very heavily affected by a run of bad capacitors. If
10 > this is being used for your server, I'd reccomend against it. We had
11 > about a 50-75% return/RMA rate on these boards. When replaced by a
12 > similar, albeit one-revision-newer ECS board we haven't seen a repeat of
13 > the problem.
14 >
15 > Shame, too, because it's such a versatile, inexpensive board.
16 >
17 > It's also possible that a blown capacitor could affect your ability to
18 > monitor with lm_sensors, but in my experience the computer simply
19 > becomes unstable or unbootable. In some cases, such as my own
20 > workstation, a capacitor literally exploded from the board and flew
21 > several feet out of the (lid-less) case.
22
23 The Big Bang! ;-)
24 It seems that I'm more lucky. The system is running since 2 weeks
25 without trouble. I've compiled really all (Gentoo install from stage 1),
26 I ran piozone and bonnie++ to test the disks throughput, recompiling
27 the kernel 60 times without pause (to test the RAM; the system load
28 was at about 4) and I didn't get any error.
29 >From the BIOS the processor was at about 50 C and the MB at about
30 40 C (a litle warmer than I like, but the case is a midi tower and there
31 are in 5 SCSI disk 7200 RPM; maybe I'll add a fan).
32 Now I've compiled the 2.6.1 kernel and installed and compiled the
33 lm-sensors for such kernel and they works, it is, sensors-detect worked
34 and now they can show many wrong data and use the ISA module, but
35 that seems normal, I have to adjust that behaviour with some parameters
36 to pass to the i2c modules.
37
38 Thx and regards,
39 Andrea Ferraris