From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] lm-sensors problem
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:33:32
1 Andrea Ferraris wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Mobo: ECS K7S5A Pro with Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM
5 [...]
6
7 It may or may not be related to your problem, but the K7S5A model line
8 of ECS boards was very heavily affected by a run of bad capacitors. If
9 this is being used for your server, I'd reccomend against it. We had
10 about a 50-75% return/RMA rate on these boards. When replaced by a
11 similar, albeit one-revision-newer ECS board we haven't seen a repeat of
12 the problem.
13
14 Shame, too, because it's such a versatile, inexpensive board.
15
16 It's also possible that a blown capacitor could affect your ability to
17 monitor with lm_sensors, but in my experience the computer simply
18 becomes unstable or unbootable. In some cases, such as my own
19 workstation, a capacitor literally exploded from the board and flew
20 several feet out of the (lid-less) case.
23 Stewart Honsberger - http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
24 To teach is to learn twice.
25 -- Joseph Joubert