From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] can't boot anymore!
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:34:25
1 On 10/04/2008, Davide Cittaro <davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it> wrote:
2 > Hi there, I think I've messed up something in init scripts and probably I'm
3 > missing something... btw I have some machines, different hardware, and they
4 > all can't boot.
5 > When udev is used (as specified in /etc/conf.d/rc) it crashes and disks
6 > can't be created, so I have only an emergency shell...
7 > If I specify static devices (also in /etc/conf.d/rc) I have fsck working on
8 > disks, but later on it freezes on "Caching services dependendecies"... If I
9 > interrupt it says that /var/lib/init.d/depcache doesn't exists and /sbin/rc
10 > fails with a segfault on "chgrp utmp /var/run/utmp"...
11 > I really can't get rid of this... Since I've never touched udev rules or
12 > init scripts I guess it somehow has to do with some broken ebuild...
13
14 I've seen a similar issue mentioned in the forums before. Ensure that
15 /etc/init.d only contains valid scripts (no incomplete merges and the
16 like) and also that there are no orphaned files (qfile -o
17 /etc/init.d/*). Then try touch /etc/init.d/*; /sbin/depscan.sh
18 --update.
19
20 Regards,
21