From: Benjamin Smee <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] does ldap need sasl?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 14:59:58
1 heya,
2
3 On Saturday 21 May 2005 15:35, Chris S wrote:
4 > Great, thank you very much for the answer. So SASL, in regard to LDAP,
5 > would be the security authentication layer and is a good thing to get
6 > working. I'll give it another go!
7
8 Not necessarily. Like I said it depends on your security model. Personally I
9 use -x myself because I always use either tls or ssl ldap connections. This
10 way my password is encrypted at all times. Ofcourse if you were worried about
11 your password traversing the network at ALL then you could use the mechanisms
12 like cram / digest that make one time hashes and send that instead thus
13 mitigating the risk in that respect. Its about what fits your security
14 requirements more, for most people though, -x with tls / ssl is fine.
15
16 b
17 --
18 Benjamin Smee (strerror)
19 497F 5E98 1FA0 C313 EA0B 08C7 004A 66ED 448B E78C