From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] network load balancing
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:05:12
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > Hey all --
4 >
5 > I'm trying to help a fellow gentoo developer solve a problem he's having.
6 > He is unable to get decent broadband speed where he lives and, for various
7 > reasons, needs to get faster upstream transfer speeds than he can
8 > currently. One thought was to get multiple slower lines and combine them.
9 >
10 > Any network load balancing solutions out there that might help? I've
11 > already checked:
12 >
13 > http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
14 >
15 > But this won't help as it chooses a single route for each transfer. He
16 > needs to find a way to spread traffic across two (or more) links, even for
17 > a single file transfer (like an ISO). So, when transferring a single 1GB
18 > file, he needs a solution that will send packets across each available
19 > link.
20 >
21 > Any ideas/links/suggestions?
22
23 There's bound to be similar functionality available in Linux somewhere,
24 but I remembered OpenBSD's pf supporting something like this. It
25 supports address pooling and round-robining between multiple outbound
26 connections.
27
28 http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html#outgoing
29
30 Usually something like this might be done using BGP and some routing
31 magic to set policy on routing out through these. If you were to
32 investigate setting this up, Quagga (formerly zebra) has a bpgd and so
33 does OpenBSD (introduced in 3.5 or 3.6, don't remember. Now a userland
34 bgpd native to the OS.)
35
36 DS