From: Ronan Mullally <ronan@×××.ie>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] remote /usr
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:12:42
1 On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > AFAIK "remote /usr" idea was born many years ago, when hard drive sizes
4 > was too small. Nowadays this has no sense anymore.
5 >
6 > And from management/administration view sharing /usr between many
7 > servers isn't significantly help because most complexity in
8 > administration is updating /etc, not /usr.
9 >
10 > Probably I miss something important but I've no idea how "remote /usr"
11 > can make administration easier nowadays...
12
13 There are several very good reasons for using a remote-mounted /usr:
14
15 - You can mount it read-only so it can't be modified
16 - You can easily 're-task' a server by changing what it mounts
17 - Your data is easier to update
18 - Your data is easier to backup
19
20 Additional complexity (to simplify things a bit) is about as complicated
21 changing your fstab to point at an NFS server rather than a local device.
22
23 If I've got more than 3 or 4 servers to manage in a deployment I typically
24 use remote-mounted root and /usr filesystems - it makes life an awful lot
25 easier.
28 -Ronan
29 --
30 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list