From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] remote /usr
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 13:46:12
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 08:12:51AM +0100, Christian Bricart wrote:
4 > > Can anybody in _this_ maillist confirm importance of "remote /usr" support?
5 > quoting from http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY
6
7 AFAIK "remote /usr" idea was born many years ago, when hard drive sizes
8 was too small. Nowadays this has no sense anymore.
9
10 And from management/administration view sharing /usr between many servers
11 isn't significantly help because most complexity in administration is
12 updating /etc, not /usr.
13
14 Probably I miss something important but I've no idea how "remote /usr" can
15 make administration easier nowadays...
18 WBR, Alex.
19 --
20 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list