From: Patrik Jansson <fbsd@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Can't mount root device (PERC 5/i)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:31:32
1 Christian Affolter wrote:
2 > Hmm, are you sure that your RAID has been recognized correctly? In case
3 > you don't have another RAID-set or a standalone disk/CD Rom, your
4 > RAID-set should be accessible as /dev/sda. So what's behind /dev/sda in
5 > your case?
6 No, I'm not. But I cannot access /dev/sda.
7 From a terminal (LiveCD booted):
8 # fdisk /dev/sda
9 Unable to open /dev/sda
10
11 I may access /dev/sdb though (that's why the I installed Gentoo on sdb).
12
13 > So, to summarize: Check that your RAID set has been recognized properly
14 > before installing with the live-CD. Investigate why you only have one
15 > SCSI device in contrast to two on the live CD (missing SCSI CD-ROM
16 > support?).
17
18 I'm not sure how to do that. I'm not even sure if /dev/sdb is the actual
19 RAID or just one of the drives? But when I come to think about it...
20 when I try to boot the system, the Dell server actually boots from the
21 logical drive and it do find the kernel, hence /dev/sdb is infact the
22 RAID, right?
23 I also removed one of the drives, tried to boot (it finds the kernel),
24 then I removed the other drive and rebooted and it still finds the kernel).
25
26 Steve Dommett wrote:
27 > At this point does an 'lsmod' give any further clues? For instance is
28 > the LiveCD using the same driver for the RAID you are expecting to use
29 > after the reboot?
30 lsmod gives one interesting module: megaraid_sas (if I recall
31 correctly). And I guess this is one of the many LSI entries in kernel
32 configuration, and I have tried enabling them all.
33
34 >> sda: unknown partition table
35 > Ouch! Something is very wrong here. I don't think you're going much
36 > further until this one gets fixed.
37 I agree, something is wrong indeed!
38
39 > Are you sure you're running the same driver for the card as was used
40 > during the install?
41 Not at all and I don't know how to figure that out either. I was told to
42 check /sys/ from the LiveCD and check which module was used for /dev/sdb
43 but I couldn't find anything (that I found) interesting.
44
45 > Maybe you could try using genkernel to build the kernel, which will
46 > also create an initrd to autoload most needed modules just like the
47 > LiveCD.
48
49 I have tried that too! I have also tried genkernel and modified it to
50 build support for LSI drivers.
51
52 > Also, I doubt if this is necessary with a hardware RAID controller,
53 > but perhaps emerge'ing device-mapper is necessary. Perhaps also
54 > mdadm too, but I'm even more doubtful about that one.
55
56 I can't see how this could make any difference when I can't even mount
57 the root device? Anyway, I'm desperate and will try this as soon as I can.
58
59 Thanks for your help,
60 -Patrik
61 --