From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Can't mount root device (PERC 5/i)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:54:54
1 >> Hmm, are you sure that your RAID has been recognized correctly? In
2 >> case you don't have another RAID-set or a standalone disk/CD Rom, your
3 >> RAID-set should be accessible as /dev/sda. So what's behind /dev/sda
4 >> in your case?
5 > No, I'm not. But I cannot access /dev/sda.
6 > From a terminal (LiveCD booted):
7 > # fdisk /dev/sda
8 > Unable to open /dev/sda
9 Can you provide the SCSI/RAID related dmesg output from the live-CD?
10 Do you have a SCSI-CD Rom or an IDE/(S)ATA one?
13 > I may access /dev/sdb though (that's why the I installed Gentoo on sdb).
14 >
15 >> So, to summarize: Check that your RAID set has been recognized
16 >> properly before installing with the live-CD. Investigate why you only
17 >> have one SCSI device in contrast to two on the live CD (missing SCSI
18 >> CD-ROM support?).
19 >
20 > I'm not sure how to do that. I'm not even sure if /dev/sdb is the actual
21 > RAID or just one of the drives? But when I come to think about it...
22 > when I try to boot the system, the Dell server actually boots from the
23 > logical drive and it do find the kernel, hence /dev/sdb is infact the
24 > RAID, right?
25 > I also removed one of the drives, tried to boot (it finds the kernel),
26 > then I removed the other drive and rebooted and it still finds the kernel).
27 Ok, I would also assume that your mirroring RAID-set is working then ;)
28
29 > > Also, I doubt if this is necessary with a hardware RAID controller,
30 > > but perhaps emerge'ing device-mapper is necessary. Perhaps also
31 > > mdadm too, but I'm even more doubtful about that one.
32 >
33 > I can't see how this could make any difference when I can't even mount
34 > the root device? Anyway, I'm desperate and will try this as soon as I can.
35 No, those utilities won't be necessary as you're running a hardware
36 RAID, their supposed to create/manage software RAIDs.
37
38 Have you ever tried to use /dev/sda in your grub config and fstab (as
39 your kernel recognizes an sda SCSI disk) ?
42 regards
43 Chris
46 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list