From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] web administration interface
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:05:59
1 Robert Larson wrote:
2 [snipped a lot of good ideas]
3
4 > This may not be the next step, but the next step might lead to this.
5 Indeed, but a good start might be looking at CIM/WBEM[1]. Evaluating
6 sblim might be useful, it's meant exactly for our purpose and I think
7 its worth a thought. The only real drawback at this point would be the
8 need for a python CMPI ( it would enable to write python providers for
9 cmpi) and this needs to be written in C/C++ which I cannot do.
10
11 cheers
12 Paul
13
14 BTW: You may find this approach totally oversized and useless but I
15 consider the fragmentation in administering different linux distros one
16 of the biggest roadblocks for linux as it prevents leveraging existing
17 knowledge. Novell will go for WBEM, there is at least interest for
18 debian, haven't checked others. I rather like to avoid writing "Yet
19 Another Yast".
20
21 Links:
22 [1] http://sblim.sourceforge.net/