From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] web administration interface
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:33:51
1 On Monday 27 June 2005 06:23 pm, Josh Hunholz wrote:
2 > Wilkins, Vern wrote:
3 > >What would the web interface do, or more importantly, what would it do
4 > > that webmin doesn't do already? I'm not a programmer, but it would seem
5 > > that writing a module for webmin to handle something like portage
6 > > administration would be much easier, and probably more quickly result in
7 > > a more complete administration interface for a gentoo machine. I'm not
8 > > doubting that one could develop a better web interface or tool than
9 > > webmin, for Gentoo, just curious.
10 >
11 > The idea behind this is far more than Webmin does. One of the coolest
12 > features looks to be a way to keep multiple Gentoo boxes up to date with
13 > security fixes (so it will tell you what boxes have what that need
14 > updating, etc.) and also more of a large-scale administration of
15 > multiple servers from one interface (where Webmin does one server).
16 >
17 > --Josh Hunholz
20 Or, an expansion on the whole idea may come as something like this:
21 A cross-platform distribution (based on Gentoo ;) ) with the ability to
22 cluster (however it be necessary). Comes with tools (written in python?) for
23 image creation, whereas images are "stacks" of packages prebuilt/compiled by
24 the administrator. You might specify the stack or meta-ebuild as a set of
25 compiled packages. Once an image is created it functions as an enterprise
26 component. The image then is run under a virtual machine that supports
27 running on a cluster. There are sets of tools to manage the virtual
28 machines, and allow for primary and backup virtual services to be dynamically
29 loaded and configured, or shutdown when not needed.
30
31 This creates a dynamic network where you would design it with statefulness in
32 mind. When I say statefulness, I am referring to how state changes in a
33 network. One minute things are fine, the next, there are floods of traffic
34 pumping through your email server and ldap is being floored because you
35 didn't have time to replicate it into a secondary. With that in mind, we
36 specify something as responding within a time limit as maintaining a state.
37 The moment it breaks that limit, action is taken to recover the state.
38
39 Network operation can be dynamically altered by setting up (virtual) bridges
40 between the "enterprise components" and dynamically routing traffic between
41 each of the components. Each enterprise component would sit as a group of
42 almost duplicate virtual machines dedicated to managing one task. When load
43 goes up, more virtual machines are powered up. When load goes down, some are
44 shutdown. We could even go as far as incorporating AI to preload these to
45 match trends.
46
47 Some advantages may be:
48 * Redundancy - something goes down, the service can be replicated as more
49 virtual machines are powered on.
50 * Load balance all services as one - Each service is balanced (application
51 specific, or network traffic) across multiple virtual hosts, but sits on top
52 of the cluster. The cluster distributes the load of the virtual machines.
53 * Hardware failure - Hardware fails, nothing goes down? I like that :)
54 * Statefulness - all that needs storage is the states of the machines, and the
55 data that circulates, I'm thinking storage area network... (i.e. providing
56 the state, and a data source, the cluster builds itself to maintain the
57 state, then provides services to circulate the data)
58 * Cost - finally a use for all that old equipment we have laying around
59
60 This may not be the next step, but the next step might lead to this.
61
62 Robert Larson
63 --
64 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list