From: Josh Hunholz <josh@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] web administration interface
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:23:56
1 Wilkins, Vern wrote:
2
3 >What would the web interface do, or more importantly, what would it do that webmin doesn't do already? I'm not a programmer, but it would seem that writing a module for webmin to handle something like portage administration would be much easier, and probably more quickly result in a more complete administration interface for a gentoo machine. I'm not doubting that one could develop a better web interface or tool than webmin, for Gentoo, just curious.
6 The idea behind this is far more than Webmin does. One of the coolest
7 features looks to be a way to keep multiple Gentoo boxes up to date with
8 security fixes (so it will tell you what boxes have what that need
9 updating, etc.) and also more of a large-scale administration of
10 multiple servers from one interface (where Webmin does one server).
11
12 --Josh Hunholz
13
14 >Vern
17 >-----Original Message-----
18 >From: Paul Kölle [mailto:pkoelle@×××××.com]
19 >Sent: Mon 6/27/2005 2:27 AM
20 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
21 >Cc:
22 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] web administration interface
23 >Hi, first off I am also interested in such a framework and would like to
24 >help out. BTW: Are there any decisions for the language already made
25 >
26 >python: +1
27 >php: -1 ;)
28 >
29 >Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
32 >>Hi Micheal,
33 >>
34 >>I am still on it, we are exploring the use of LDAP for the backend over
35 >>MySQL. Have been pressured with some other projects lately.
38 >I'd strongly advise against using LDAP as the only choice, its complex
39 >and sometimes subtle and most ppl are more used to SQL and the
40 >relational model. I think backends might be useful here.
41 >
42 >cheers
43 > Paul
48 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list