From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] php 4 to 5
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:14:46
1 Thanks to both Georges and Ryan for their replies. Yeah, I suppose it would have
2 made sense for me to mention what I'm using.
3
4 I have phppgadmin, phpmyadmin, squirrelmail, and postfixadmin (in an overlay,
5 and unfortunately with some customization) on my machine. I think at least the
6 first three are php5-ready.
7
8 For custom stuff, there is one complete site -- written by my brother -- using
9 php. Hopefully it's not using any php4-specific stuff. I think he does use some
10 PEAR modules... MDB2, Http_Client, etc. Luckily I think that site's going to
11 reach end-of-life soon (was an internal site for a research project), so maybe
12 this update will rush that along. :-)
13
14 Other than this, there are a few pages here and there that use some php. I don't
15 think any of those use any libraries or fancy stuff... hopefully not.
16
17 Now, I should not need to re-emerge the webapps (phpmyadmin, etc.), right? They
18 don't have any compiled code. I'd rather not deal with the configs if possible.
19 I will re-emerge all the PEAR/PECL stuff though.
20
21 Will write again to let you know how it went.
22
23 Ben
24
25 PS: Hmm, so the email the other day said that php4 would be removed from the
26 tree yesterday. So, I suppose that this means that if I move to php5 there's no
27 way to move back to php4? :-o
30 Georges Toth wrote:
31 > Hi Ben,
32 >
33 >> So, I know I'm a bad gentoo administrator and all, but I am just getting
34 >> around to moving from php 4 to 5. Was wondering if anyone knew of any
35 >> gotchas to watch out for or guides to help with the process. Everything I'm
36 >> finding through google seems to be about the update from the old php
37 >> packages to dev-lang/php, which I did a long time ago.
38 >>
39 >> It would be really sweet if I could just unmask php and emerge. What are
40 >> the chances of it being that easy?
41 >
42 > It depends on the php scripts you use.
43 > If they are php5 compatible, the migration should be smooth.
44 > php-dependant libraries need to be re-emerged, same goes for pecl packages
45 > (pecl4 -> pecl5).
46 >
47 > If you've got scripts which are php5 incompatible, you have a problem.
48 > One solution is to run php4 as cgi for that specific docroot, or have both
49 > php4 and php5 running as modules using the concurrent patch (but I wouldn't
50 > advise that as it *sadly* isn't supported upstream).
53 > I just wish they would make it easier for running different php versions on
54 > the same server, as apache modules....and now with php6 being
55 > released "soon".... but oh well ;-)
58 > Hope this helped.
63 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list