From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SPAM protection by requesting confirmation
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:13:49
1 On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 23:45 +0200, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > > Can anybody recommend me tool which is able to correctly handle
3 > these cases?
4 > > To be honest, I don't see a way to realize this feature... :(
5 > > Ability to protect all accounts at our email domain is good to have,
6 > but
7 > > personal-only tool is acceptable too. (I use qmail, if this is
8 > important.)
11 > I would recommend not to implement such a tool.
12 >
13 > 1) I wouldn't send you mail anymore if you made me jump through hoops
15 > confirm that me is actually I.
16 > 2) I personally think it's a stupid way of dealing with the problem
17 > 3) I can't see any way to get them to work with lists
18
19 Be that as it may, many people use this "circle the wagons" approach to
20 spam management. I used it for a long time, with good success, although
21 I had problems with things such as automated replies to online orders
22 and the like. I had very little problem with people refusing to confirm
23 their addresses. I used a bypass cookie in my address (e.g.
24 fmouse-n44xyz@×××.com) as my Reply-To address which allowed replies
25 through without encountering the confirmation process. Only people who
26 cold-emailed me got the confirmation request, which was politely worded
27 and fairly innocuous. A few technophobic folks were put off by it,
28 mainly by misunderstanding the clearly worded confirmation request and
29 thinking their email had been identified as spam.
30
31 Check out Tagged Message Delivery Agent (TMDA). It's a python-based
32 system that may do what you need.
35 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
36 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
37 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
38 http://www.fmp.com | |