From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SPAM protection by requesting confirmation
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:45:54
1 Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 07:53:57PM +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
5 >> i've heard of cases, where spammers used the subscribe address of
6 >> mailinglists as envelope sender. an out-of-office reply is sent to the
7 >> subscribe address from the target of the spam - the mailing list software
8 >> sends a confirmation mail - the autoresponder correctly authorises the
9 >> the subscription request.
10 >>
11 >> ...but then again, thats what you get for sending out-of-office
12 >> autoresponses.
13 >
14 > Sorry for OT, but I wanna install spam-protection tool based on
15 > confirmation email request (somebody send me email, my tool delay that
16 > email and automatically reply requesting confirmation, he confirm, my tool
17 > receive that confirmation and: 1) add his email to while-list; 2) deliver
18 > his initial email to my mailbox). I'm aware about several such tools, but
19 > I'm not sure how they handle incoming emails from other robots - like mail
20 > lists, or some news subscriptions and notifications from websites.
21 >
22 > I just don't wanna put myself in position like other people who spam
23 > maillists I read with senseless messages from their tools like
24 > autoresponders or so...
25 >
26 > Can anybody recommend me tool which is able to correctly handle these cases?
27 > To be honest, I don't see a way to realize this feature... :(
28 > Ability to protect all accounts at our email domain is good to have, but
29 > personal-only tool is acceptable too. (I use qmail, if this is important.)
32 I would recommend not to implement such a tool.
33
34 1) I wouldn't send you mail anymore if you made me jump through hoops to
35 confirm that me is actually I.
36 2) I personally think it's a stupid way of dealing with the problem
37 3) I can't see any way to get them to work with lists
38
39 1) and 2) are obviously very personally biased & opinionated :-)
40
41 Judging from the mail/spam volumes at my work, you might be very happy
42 if you just implemented grey-listing. This basically tells every new
43 sender of email (or email-address, depends on implementation) to go and
44 come back in 5 minutes. It sends a 4xx status code, which tells the
45 sender that the mailserver is currently unable to accept mail, but will
46 do so in a short while.
47
48 Most greylisting tools automaically whitelist senders if they come back
49 for a configurable period of time.
50
51 Since most spammers, virii and other bogus mailsenders do not implement
52 a full queue-ing system to redeliver mail at a later time if they
53 receive a 4xx response they bugger off to harass other poor souls on the
54 internet.
55
56 Since most legit mailsenders actually use a mailserver with a queueing
57 system they resend the mail within the specified period and mail gets
58 delivered.
59
60 As a bonus, it's absolutely low-impact on your mailserver wrt performance.
61
62 Dropped spam ratio with > 60% for me, the rest is taken care of by the
63 usual combination of (automated) blacklisting and spamassasin.
64
65 If you use postfix it is as simple as emerge postgrey and go read the
66 manual.
67
68 Just my 2 cts
69