From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SPAM protection by requesting confirmation
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:40:55
1 Hi Ramon,
2 on Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:45:41PM +0200, you wrote:
3 > I would recommend not to implement such a tool.
4 >
5 > 1) I wouldn't send you mail anymore if you made me jump through hoops to
6 > confirm that me is actually I.
7 > 2) I personally think it's a stupid way of dealing with the problem
8 > 3) I can't see any way to get them to work with lists
9
10 I agree that this is not a good solution, however there is a pretty
11 simple rule that would make any such autoresponding tool work with
12 mailing lists: just don't reply to anything with a "Precedence: bulk"
13 header. Of course while that's a failsafe way for out-of-office
14 programs, you'd need to effectively whitelist bulk mails, giving
15 spammers the possibility of bypassing your filter. They're not very
16 likely to do that but it's a small part of why this "solution" is
17 bad.
18 Once in a while we come across a customer with such a system at work
19 (ISP abuse dept.), and it's usually not very nice. Our ticket system
20 sends some notification (like "You've probably been hacked/have a
21 trojan, check this and that"), the autoresponder comes back with "please
22 confirm your mail by doing XY") which a) pisses off the operator because
23 they have to manually check the ticket and b) probably doesn't work
24 anyway because that the ticket system (having an automatically-set
25 subject and stuff like that) can't do it anyway. So the account will
26 likely be locked and we just wait for the customer to call.
27 What you can easily do, in order of personal (well, I don't run my own
28 mail server any more) preference:
29 - block dialup ranges
30 - use IP blacklists like SORBS
31 - use SpamAssassin, possibly with more blacklists like SURBL
32 - check DomainKeys and/or SPF headers for scoring
33 - use greylisting
34
35 cheers,
36 Matthias
37 --
38 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
39 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665