From: Andrea Ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] strange bogomips difference
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:03:55
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Marko McLion" <mclion@×××××.net>
3 To: <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 12:53 PM
5 Subject: [gentoo-server] strange bogomips difference
8 > Hi
9 >
10 > We've recently purcased a new 2cpu server and installer gentoo on it. It's
11 a
12 > dual Athlon MP2800. All came smooth, but when the load of the server grew
13 and
14 > mysql got to 180 queries/sec it started to die (mysql daemon). We tried
15 > everything, even the binary distribution from mysql.com and lowering the
16 > maxconnections settings, but with no success... Then we've noticed that
17 gcc
18 > while compiling the last mysql sources died with a strange error, that
19 says
20 > in brief that there is a hardware error maybe... So we've checked the
21 machine
22 > (hardware) and found this:
23 > -----------
24 > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
25 > processor : 0
26 > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
27 > cpu family : 6
28 > model : 10
29 > model name : AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2800+
30 > stepping : 0
31 > cpu MHz : 2133.380
32 > cache size : 512 KB
33 > fdiv_bug : no
34 > hlt_bug : no
35 > f00f_bug : no
36 > coma_bug : no
37 > fpu : yes
38 > fpu_exception : yes
39 > cpuid level : 1
40 > wp : yes
41 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
42 > cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
43 > bogomips : 4194.30
44 >
45 > processor : 1
46 > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
47 > cpu family : 6
48 > model : 10
49 > model name : AMD Athlon(tm) MP
50 > stepping : 0
51 > cpu MHz : 2133.380
52 > cache size : 512 KB
53 > fdiv_bug : no
54 > hlt_bug : no
55 > f00f_bug : no
56 > coma_bug : no
57 > fpu : yes
58 > fpu_exception : yes
59 > cpuid level : 1
60 > wp : yes
61 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
62 > cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
63 > bogomips : 4259.84
64 >
65 > ---------
66 >
67 > As you can see, the model name is displayed differently by the cpus and
68 the
69 > bogomips is different too.. Could be this the problem?
70 >
71 > We've disasembled the server and to the naked eye the cpu-s look the same.
72 It
73 > is possible that there is so much difference? Or is it a software problem?
74
75 Once upon a time, a smp kernel could run also on non smp machine.
76 Can you try to take away one CPU, then test the machine, compiling
77 the mysql sources, then if you get the same error, repeat with the other
78 CPU in the other slot, taking away the one you tested before.
79 Which is the strange gcc error that you get, compiling the mysql sources?
80 Isnt' it a sig 11? In such case could be a memory problem.
81
82 Andrea